As well as writing, I’m also a freelance copy-editor and proofreader and am now opening these services up to fiction writers who might need help with their short stories or novels.
The services being offered are:
- Proofreading – checking for spelling, grammar, etc. using on-screen mark-up (track changes) in Word.
- Copy-editing – as above but with more intervention, as in checking for consistency throughout your work, improving language (not rewriting, but just making the language flow better in places), pointing out any problems with the work that the author will need to address, as well as any other issues that become clear during editing.
- Short story appraisal – a report on a short story of any length, which highlights what is working well and what might need further attention in a particular piece (including issues with characterisation, voice, dialogue, etc.).
- Manuscript appraisal – a report on a collection of short stories or a novel, which highlights what is working as well as any issues with plot(s), characterisation, voice, dialogue, tone, etc. For short story collections, I can also advise on coherence and how the book works as a whole, as well as give input on how to order your collection.
- Mentoring – if you would like to be mentored and guided as you produce a collection of stories or a novel, then I can read and give feedback on work-in-progress at agreed intervals, including a follow-up meeting online to discuss feedback/talk about ways forward.
If you are interested in any of these services, please get in touch with me through the contact form on this website initially. For proofreading and copy-editing, I will need to see a sample of your writing in order to ascertain the level of work involved and to then give you a price. Any editing or mentoring does not, of course, guarantee you will be signed by an agent or be published, but it will certainly make your submissions stronger. And if I feel I can advise where it might be good for you to submit your work then I will.
I really love helping writers be the best they can be, so please do get in touch if you feel I can help.
Further to this, please get in touch if you are a university, festival or other organisation and would like me to lead writing sessions or take part in other events. I have led community workshops previously and also have a number of years’ experience teaching undergraduate and postgraduate students in universities – I am also a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and am passionate about student-centred learning. (I am often available at short-notice for Associate Tutor/Lecturer work in the event of illness, etc.)
I look forward to hearing from you!